Thursday, November 30, 2006

Golden

Cailly and Rooney's aura strings have been tied together...awww...

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then obviously you haven't read Golden by Jennifer Lynne Barnes. It's about sophomore Lissy who moves to a Oklahoma when her mother, who has psychic abilities, solves a little boy's murder, relaying the scene with such accuracy that the family must move to escape suspicion. Lissy has the ability to see auras, and it's not until she moves to her new high school that she realizes the true potential of her gift.

I must have read this book in a single afternoon. The opening scene was hilarious, and the characters were intriguing. I loved the little sister, who is 'blind' and yet to discover her psychic gift. I liked the grandmother too, mostly because I could totally picture her. She's the controlling type that can not enter a room without going unnoticed. She somehow reminded me of the grandmother in Princess Diaries, and she played a similar role: teaching/mentoring Lissy to utilize and cultivate her gift.

I've read a few reviews of this book, and was surprised to find so many people compared it to Twighlight by Stephenie Meyer. Both books are written in the perspective of teenage girls with an element of fantasy. But, when I think of Twighlight, I think fantasy, romance, and vampires. It's a true fantasy - if you take out the vampire, Bella's story would be entirely different. When I think of Golden I think more about high school politics. One reviewer said she was overshelmed with all the aura references. Although obviously a big part of the plot, I barely noticed the fantasy element at all. I guess I would compare it more to Avalon High by Meg Cabot. Either way, I thought it was fantastic and I'm excited to see her next book comes out in January.

Erin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home