Monday, August 06, 2007

LA Number Two

This may be a completely incomprehensible blog post because I am sitting in the tiny airport that is Long Beach, Ca (and by tiny, I mean scary tiny - but also cool because everyone seems to travel with their dogs) after a five day (I can't calculate how many hours that is at this time and in my current condition) writing conference that is absolutely the most exciting and fun place to be if you are an aspiring writer. Or as they say at this conference - 'prepublished.' Everyday started by 8:30 am and went non-stop to lunch. Speaker after glorious speaker offered up their inspirations and insights. Lunch was a massive rush to either the fancy food court across the street in the fancy outside mall for a broccoli and cheese baked potato and a side chopped salad, or to the lunch of prepared sandwiches outside the famous LA ballroom where all the keynote speaker did their thing. Here are the average prices of this prepared sandwich lunch outside the ballroom (note this location was actually IN the hotel).
1. Sandwich, no cheese or condiments: $7.50.
2. Bottle of water or soda: $4.25
3. Piece of whole fruit: $3.00
We realized on day three that if you took the escalator up two levels to the lobby, you could find the same piece of fruit for $1 and a bottle of water for something more like $2.

After lunch, we returned refreshed and ready for an afternoon of more workshops and inspiration. It was fantastic. I didn't skip an entire one. And then, usually around 5:30 the day was over and we retired to our rooms for about a half hour to get ready for whatever festivities were planned that night - eg. cocktail parties, art portfolio displays, Mongolian throat singers (really), By the Light of the Silvery Moon parties, or just hanging out in the bar area with a group of friends and watching all the famous people come and go. Besides ALL the famous authors/illustrator/agents/editors, we also saw a Baldwin brother. I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that we are already making plans on how we can return again next year.

LA number three!

3 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger candycana said...

Erin! I didn't know you were able to go to LA! I assume this is the SCBWI Conference? I'm so jealous! I hope you were able to make some great contacts! I have no doubt you had a blast and learned a lot!

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is definately a great deal to know about this
subject. I really like all the points you've made.

Here is my web blog ... cash advance on tax return

 

Post a Comment

<< Home