Monday, April 02, 2007

What I've been reading...

1. Here Lies the Librarian by Richard Peck

I think only Richard Peck could make me feel like I want to read more about the evolution of the automobile.

2. Enna Burning by Shannon Hale

This is the second book of Bayern (the first being Goose Girl which I absolutely loved) and all my favorite characters returned for a completely different story. This one was a bit heavier on the war aspect of Bayern - which may be the only reason I enjoyed Goose Girl a little bit more. Either way I am looking forward to reading River Secrets (which I believe is already out).

3. The Teacher's Funeral by Richard Peck

I went to a conference a few years ago where Richard Peck read the first page of this book (which was newly published at that point) and I loved the first line: 'If your teacher has to die, August isn't a bad time of year for it.' He writes old-time Indiana so well. I love the characters and the storyline and all of the details from that time - from going to school in a one room schoolhouse to living in a small town at the turn of the century. Almost as good as A Year Down Yonder...

4. Saint Iggy by KL Going

This is such a different kind of book than what I usually read. It reminds me of King Dork in the way that the reader is completely in the mind of the main character - we hear every single thought and it makes him so real. It also reminds me a bit of Fat Kid Rules the World, because I feel like I know the main character (Iggy) so well - like he's a close friend or a cousin - except that he lives in such a different world than I've ever known.

5. Notes on a Near Life Experience by Olivia Birdsall

Someone in my writer's group was nice enough to share this ARC with me and I was pleasantly surprised. Mia's parents are getting divorced, and her family is falling apart before her eyes. This is a popular theme in kidlit, but it's done really well here. The chapters are short snippets of Mia's life and you realize all of a sudden at the end that they meld together to form a very good story.

6. My Big Sister is so bossy she says you can't read this book by Mary Hershey

This could be my favorite title of all time. I heard she has a new book coming out 'My Best Friend is so bossy...' Very cute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home